My Playoff posted December 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM
Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

If I ran the show, we'd have an 8-team playoff with the top four conference champions and the top four at-large bids. Also, if a non-major champion got inside the top 12, they would get a spot. I would also place a limit for number of entries to three per conference, which eliminates Wisconsin.

So this year's field would look like this, with Western Michigan barely missing out:

1. Bama (SEC Champ) vs. 8. Southern Cal (At-large)

2. Clemson (ACC Champ) vs. 7. Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ/At-large)

3. Ohio State (At-large) vs. 6. Michigan (At-large)

4. Washington (Pac-12 Champ) vs. 5. Penn State (Big 10 Champ)

I would leave that OSU-Michigan matchup alone, because switching it to avoid a remath punishes someone by giving them a tougher first-round matchup than their seed deserves. I'd also have these four matchups at home sites.

Discussion Person

TheTopFan

Greenville, SC

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

I like that idea.

Discussion Person

TheTopFan

Greenville, SC

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

Timm - if you get a chance, need to chat with ya about an idea I have....

You can email me when you get time....?

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Just did, sir.

Discussion Person

Dasyboja

Industry, PA

Fanatic

1. I would like to see all super 5s have 14 members.  (yeah, some tradition is going to get messed with)

2. You play 12 games... all conference games.  so you would play everyone in your conference minus 1.

not out of conference, no out of Super 5 Division.  (i know this is not what ESPN and their networks want)

3.  5 conference champs get automatic bid to an 8 team playoff.  3 at large bids by committee.

( i would limit at large to 1 per conference, but I'm not firm on that)

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

Kid you not, I had the same idea with the all-conference schedule, but there's one problem with it. You'd have a hard time knowing which at-larges were truly most deserving. At least now, we have those cross-overs that can give us some insight - Clemson-Auburn, Ohio State-Oklahoma - but you take those away, how do we know which non-champions are the best?

Discussion Person

TheTopFan

Greenville, SC

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

On a similar note to Dasyboja, I would have 8 teams, and it would be 5 conference champs and the 3 at-large...

wouldnt bother me if things stayed like they were, but the big 12 would need a title game to keep things fair....

As for the 3 at-large, they can be whatever from whatever conference - simply the 3 best teams available after conf champs....

You need 7 games for an 8-team playoff, therefore you use the 6 "New Years" bowls and add in a natty game - there are your 7 games needed.....

Discussion Person

TheTopFan

Greenville, SC

Fans25 Staff

Fanatic

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-wants-an-eight-team-playoff-do-you-172534385.html 

And here is the very first wheel set in motion to get us to 8 teams...CRAZY that this came out today as we are discussing this

Discussion Person

TopJTimm

Macon, GA

Fanatic

He's clearly been reading my work ha ha

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click click here to login or here to create an account.