South Carolina Wins National Championship
|Share on Twitter|
South Carolina 2, UCLA 1. In what might have been the finest pitched game in the long and storied history of Omaha's Rosenblatt Stadium, the USC Gamecocks won game two of the national championship series, and long with it, a national championship. The two teams went 1-1 most of the night until a RBI single from Whit Merrifield in the bottom of the 11th scored Scott Wingo for the game winner. Jackie Bradley, Jr was awarded the series most outstanding player after hitting .345 for the CWS. For South Carolina, this is its first ever national championship in baseball.
After the game, a most deserving coach, Ray Tanner, told ESPN's Erin Andrews he didn't know which player he would hug first, so he just stood on the top dugout step and watched as his team piled on one another in the infield. Which by the way brings up a point: USC missed the mound! This was supposed to be the historic last dog-pile on the Rosenblatt mound - and they dog-piled at the shortstop area! Anyway...
USC has been one of the top programs in college baseball over the last 14 seaons under Ray Tanner, and this win is very deserving. I said it yesterday that as a Clemson fan its tough to watch your rival win a championship. However, when the team - and more specifically the program and the coach that built that program - deserve it, it makes it easier. Tanner and company deserved this, and thus it is their's.
As for Rosenblatt, goodnight my friend. Sleep well. I do not like to think that Rosenblatt will not be here the next time this event unfolds. But no stadium, and no thing, lasts forever, but rather the memories of what took place there....
Congrats to South Carolina!
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- 2016 Season
- Team Draft Results and Announcement
- Who Wins it All?
- Pickem game this year?
- HS video with top recruits
- Team Draft Update (PLEASE READ)
- Fall Camp 2016
- NBA Playoffs 2016
- You guys must really hate Alabama.
- 247 Sports Way Too Early Bowl Projections 2016
- 2015-2016 Salute to Champions
- College Basketball: 2015-2016 Postseason
- 50 Best Teams Since WWII
- Building the 2015-2016 Tournament
- Stepping Up
- College Baseball and Softball: 2016 Season
- LEAP YEAR
- College Lacrosse: 2016 Season (Men and Women)
- 2015-2016's Surprise/Underrated Teams
- College Lacrosse: What Does the Future Hold?
- National Signing Day 2016
- 2016...and hopefully the last..."Pro Bowl"
- Ole Miss
- A Little Snow
- NATIONAL TITLE - #1 Clemson vs #2 Alabama
- Would you marry a rich, really rich, fat girl with a pretty face?
- Fantasy football experiment
- Pillow top
- And The Award For Worst Human Beings on the Planet Goes to...
- A college offense that could challenge the spread's popularity
- For ESPN reporter Holly Rowe, the job?s the thing, not cancer
- No. 1 Alabama narrows starting quarterback race down to two
- Q&A: How ESPN's Week 1 college football TV lineup came together
- The Football Four Podcast with ESPN's Paul Finebaum