South Carolina Wins National Championship
|Share on Twitter|
South Carolina 2, UCLA 1. In what might have been the finest pitched game in the long and storied history of Omaha's Rosenblatt Stadium, the USC Gamecocks won game two of the national championship series, and long with it, a national championship. The two teams went 1-1 most of the night until a RBI single from Whit Merrifield in the bottom of the 11th scored Scott Wingo for the game winner. Jackie Bradley, Jr was awarded the series most outstanding player after hitting .345 for the CWS. For South Carolina, this is its first ever national championship in baseball.
After the game, a most deserving coach, Ray Tanner, told ESPN's Erin Andrews he didn't know which player he would hug first, so he just stood on the top dugout step and watched as his team piled on one another in the infield. Which by the way brings up a point: USC missed the mound! This was supposed to be the historic last dog-pile on the Rosenblatt mound - and they dog-piled at the shortstop area! Anyway...
USC has been one of the top programs in college baseball over the last 14 seaons under Ray Tanner, and this win is very deserving. I said it yesterday that as a Clemson fan its tough to watch your rival win a championship. However, when the team - and more specifically the program and the coach that built that program - deserve it, it makes it easier. Tanner and company deserved this, and thus it is their's.
As for Rosenblatt, goodnight my friend. Sleep well. I do not like to think that Rosenblatt will not be here the next time this event unfolds. But no stadium, and no thing, lasts forever, but rather the memories of what took place there....
Congrats to South Carolina!
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- trivial pursuit
- Band Tour
- Winter SUCKS
- Daily Fact
- The Patriots
- NFL combine
- Five Rules
- Stupid - and real - Sports Rules
- C'mon MAN!
- Improving the Quality of College Basketball
- National Signing Day
- ANOTHER Mr. 1,000?
- Richmond to the hill
- Coach K: Mr. 1000
- ACC 2015 schedule
- Pro Bowl
- Recruiting, and the ugly side of it.
- Recruiting stars and the NFL
- What If: Kentucky vs. Virginia?
- Can The Officials Cost You a Game?
- 2014-2015's Surprise/Underrated Teams
- RIP Stuart Scott
- Brown: Iowa a state of grace for hoops
- Your school's bball program
- Top 10 Sports Wishes for 2015
- Which coach would you rather play for: Nick Saban or Urban Meyer?
- Possible BIG news out of UCLA!
- college football fans "constitution"
- Kirk Ferentz presser today
- Atlanta Motor Speedway
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- At Pittsburgh, Pat Narduzzi era will be built with steel
- High expectations, high salaries in SEC West: Head coaches make at least $4M
- Is rule proposal on linemen downfield too far afield?
- LSU punished for violating recruiting rule after prospect backs out
- Dan Mullen, Mississippi State agree to an extension