South Carolina Wins National Championship
|Share on Twitter|
South Carolina 2, UCLA 1. In what might have been the finest pitched game in the long and storied history of Omaha's Rosenblatt Stadium, the USC Gamecocks won game two of the national championship series, and long with it, a national championship. The two teams went 1-1 most of the night until a RBI single from Whit Merrifield in the bottom of the 11th scored Scott Wingo for the game winner. Jackie Bradley, Jr was awarded the series most outstanding player after hitting .345 for the CWS. For South Carolina, this is its first ever national championship in baseball.
After the game, a most deserving coach, Ray Tanner, told ESPN's Erin Andrews he didn't know which player he would hug first, so he just stood on the top dugout step and watched as his team piled on one another in the infield. Which by the way brings up a point: USC missed the mound! This was supposed to be the historic last dog-pile on the Rosenblatt mound - and they dog-piled at the shortstop area! Anyway...
USC has been one of the top programs in college baseball over the last 14 seaons under Ray Tanner, and this win is very deserving. I said it yesterday that as a Clemson fan its tough to watch your rival win a championship. However, when the team - and more specifically the program and the coach that built that program - deserve it, it makes it easier. Tanner and company deserved this, and thus it is their's.
As for Rosenblatt, goodnight my friend. Sleep well. I do not like to think that Rosenblatt will not be here the next time this event unfolds. But no stadium, and no thing, lasts forever, but rather the memories of what took place there....
Congrats to South Carolina!
|Share on Twitter|
Latest Forum Posts
- Teams that will....
- Should Clemson be worried?
- Happy Birthday, Skulls!
- Improving the Quality of College Basketball
- trivial pursuit
- Something very cool....for me anyway
- Special Video
- NFL Draft
- I've Got A Bone to Pick
- Which hire will have the most impact?
- Sports HELL
- Nebraska Spring Game
- Masters membership debate
- The Masters
- Clemson spring game
- 2014-2015 Salute to Champions
- College Basketball Postseason 2015 (Men and Women)
- Funny: Scott Voorhees
- ESPN list of top 20 moments over the past 20 years...discuss
- Passing the Time
- Daily Fact
- Movie props/artifacts
- Band Tour
- Spring Games
- Husker pre-season
- Winter SUCKS
- The Patriots
- NFL combine
- Five Rules
- Stupid - and real - Sports Rules
You Pick 'Em
Pick 'Em is currently closed for this week.
- Army, Navy have no plans to move game for College Football Playoff schedule
- Coach's Corner: Old Dominion's Bobby Wilder
- Pac-12 leads leagues in revenues; Larry Scott top-paid college commissioner
- If athletes ruled employees, Notre Dame will seek new sports model, AD says
- Christian Hackenberg has something to prove. At Penn State.